FRESH School Health and Nutrition Webinar - The Secret's Out: Tobacco Company Tactics to Target Young People and Responses for Schools
Date: Wednesday, 15th July 2020, 9am EDT/ 1pm GMT/ 4pm EAT/ 9pm SGT
- What strategies do tobacco companies use to target young people?
- What can schools do to protect students from tobacco use?
- How can media and digital media help protect young people?
This session will discuss how schools can protect young people from manipulation by the tobacco industry and prevent youth initiation of nicotine and tobacco products. Dr Schotte will open the session with a brief overview of the World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) 2020 campaign, which focused on exposing the marketing tactics used by the tobacco industry to attract young people, and present classroom activities that can be implemented in schools. Dr. Ling will then present research documenting tobacco company tactics and how to counteract them, and highlight digital cessation interventions available to young people. Mr. Aditjondro will provide insights into how mass media and digital media are being used in Southeast Asia to raise awareness about the dangers of tobacco and protect young people.
- Kerstin Schotte, Medical Officer, Tobacco Control, WHO
- Pamela Ling, Center for Tobacco Control & Research, University of California San Francisco
- Enrico Aditjondro, Associate Director Southeast Asia, Vital Strategies
FRESH School Health and Nutrition Webinars are monthly presentations by leading policymakers, researchers, and implementers engaged in improving the health and education of children in low- and middle-income contexts.